Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pain, Tragedy, Suffering - Mother's Strife Hits Small Town USA Yet Again!

Well, much to my dismay, it has happened again, although this time it is more heart breaking than the last, not that I have any room to judge one person's sorrow over that of another. I am speaking in terms of age only here. A mother loses her child again. Let me try and explain this without putting information in that is not my place to disclose.

An 8th grade girl has a friend stay the night with her. I know, I know, its a week night, right? But, for us, it is a holiday. Veteran's day is observed here with a day off of school. Anyway, the friends are going to have a girl's night of whatever sort, because they don't have to go to school! Great idea, right? It should have been until the early morning hours when the boiler system in the basement had some sort of malfunction and a fire started. The two girls happened to be sleeping in the basement, from what I understand.

From here I can only imagine a mother's terror and pain. (I am getting to be way to good at putting myself in the shoes of horror and sorrow. I think it is becoming a sickness. I am sure Bake's counselor would agree!) I understand that the girl's mother tried desperately to free her child and the child's friend, but to no avail.

Today is the first day after the accident.

In my mind, this is what hell must be like.

Pain.

Sorrow.

Suffering.

Loss.

Terror.

And, yet, you have to wake up and face it every morning, until your life is over.

Mom's know that with love comes pain and heart ache, but this is more than any parent should ever have to know.

My family has faced a lot of pain and heart ache, yet this is my greatest fear and in two weeks time, I have seen two mother's in our small community, on much different levels with different circumstances, go through the very same loss. My heart goes out to them. I wish I could take the pain away. We were by no means close friends, but I have known this particular mother since I was 9, or maybe longer.

I am so sorry for her loss and the loss felt by the rest of her family.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Oh that is awful. Fires are beyond scary for me, even hinging on phobia. I watched a neighbors house burn down when I was 14. That poor mother.